April 7th, 2011
First off, happy Opening Day! The streak of 208 straight days without RoughRiders baseball is over. This is Brian Boesch, the number two broadcaster this season with the ‘Riders. Aaron Goldsmith and I are pumped to bring you all of the play-by-play action of the 2011 lid-lifter tonight.
We also want to bring you news and notes in the online forum, and that’s what this blog is slated to do. When I post, I will always try to kick off the post with a funny story or an outlandish statistic. In other words, I’ll provide something unique before getting into the news and notes, which I will call “Frisco Facts.”
The first blog preface is a great story from Monday’s media day. Among other things, the ‘Riders’ players had to pose for “motion head shots.” When you come out to Dr Pepper Ballpark, you will see these “motion pictures” at times on ‘Rider Vision (the video board in left field). It’s really a neat feature that has been around for a few years.
While getting players in order for the photographers, I went up to Chris Mobley. It was his turn, but he wasn’t with the team anymore.
He had just been promoted to Triple-A Round Rock.
“I can still do one for you, if you really want,” Mobley said.
That may have been the plausible thing to do because of the dynamic nature of the minors. But hey, I didn’t want to say, “Yea, sure. You may get called back down.” That wouldn’t be a good omen for the personable hurler.
There are still plenty of ‘Riders here. Let’s get our first edition of the “Frisco Facts” going:
- The RoughRiders have announced their rotation for the start of the season. Wilfredo Boscan will start this evening in the season opener. Boscan pitched one scoreless inning in the exhibition against Round Rock Sunday afternoon. Behind Boscan, Martin Perez and Jake Brigham will pitch against Springfield Friday and Saturday, respectively. Perez dealt three scoreless frames in that Sunday exhibition, while Brigham picked up the loss (2.2 IP, 6 R, 5 ER).
- The number four and five starters are Miguel De Los Santos and Carlos Pimentel. De Los Santos allowed a run and three hits in three innings Tuesday night at Round Rock. Despite walking five, Pimentel was the winning pitcher in the ‘Riders’ 4-3 triumph at Round Rock Tuesday. He did not allow a tally and stranded three in scoring position.
- The 24-man roster is set, and the ‘Riders have six of the top 30 Rangers prospects according to Baseball America. Perez (1), OF Engel Beltre (5), De Los Santos (10), RHP Fabio Castillo (23), C Jose Felix (26), and Brigham (30) all start the season here in North Texas. Castillo will start the season on the disabled list. The reliever is still not 100 percent after breaking his foot. He did pitch in both exhibitions (2.0 IP, 4 R, 3 ER).
- Also starting on the DL for the RoughRiders are catcher Elio Sarmiento and infielder Erik Morrison.
- At the Triple-A level, former RoughRider Tanner Scheppers was placed on the DL with a lower back injury. That move prompted Mobley’s promotion that I mentioned above. Scheppers went 1-3 with a 4.84 ERA between Frisco and Oklahoma City a year ago.
- The Cardinals’ rotation for this season-opening set has been announced, too. Scott Schneider will toe the rubber tonight, with Nick Additon and Kevin Thomas to follow.
- It was great meeting and chatting with Jason Cole of LoneStarDugout.com down at Round Rock Tuesday night. Cole will be alongside Aaron Goldsmith for all 10 of our television broadcasts this season on TXA 21. You can see the full TV schedule here. Cole’s web site is one of the premier Rangers sites online, so check it out.
- Two of the Rangers’ other three full-season affiliates start their seasons tonight as well. Triple-A Round Rock entertains the Iowa Cubs at 7:05, and Hickory hosts the Asheville Tourists at 6:00. Myrtle Beach will kick off its campaign tomorrow night against the Wilmington Blue Rocks.
- One note from the big leagues. Texas just wrapped up a perfect homestand, sweeping the Red Sox and Mariners. The Rangers became the first team since the 1998 Indians to win their first six games following a trip to the World Series. That Cleveland team never fell out of first place in its division and made it all the way to the ALCS.
Aaron and I take the air at 6:35 for the RoughRiders Pre-Game Show presented by Tye Williams Financial Services. First pitch is set for shortly after 7 from Dr Pepper Ballpark. Catch all of our games on 1630 KKGM or online here. Enjoy the broadcast, the game and the season!