Malls Are Big
Normally, I try to take it easy during the morning and early afternoon before road games. Today, though, I went to the mall.
I’m not a shopper at all, but my girlfriend is a self-proclaimed pro. However, I happened to leave the mall (after about three hours worth of shopping, I might add) with more items (a pair of sunglasses) than her.
This shopping thing just doesn’t make sense if you aren’t going to get anything, but she’s the pro. Not me.
Here’s the Thursday edition of the Facts, free of charge.
- The ruling is in for Frisco center fielder Engel Beltre. The Texas League has suspended Beltre for 15 games after his altercation in San Antonio. The suspension includes yesterday’s game and will hold him out of action until May 13th.
- There were other moves by the RoughRiders today. Infielder Renny Osuna has been activated from the disabled list after suffering a broken nose April 14th. Osuna had been the leadoff hitter while in the lineup, so I would expect him to return to that spot with Beltre out for a while.
- Also, left-hander Corey Young has been placed on the seven-day disabled list with a back injury and infielder Edwin Garcia, who made his debut with the ‘Riders yesterday, is heading back to extended spring training. Garcia was only a stopgap with a few position players out of the mix.
- The RoughRiders received two players from high-A Myrtle Beach. Outfielder Travis Adair is now with the club after hitting .365 with two homers and 13 RBIs in 16 games with the Pelicans. In those 16 games, Adair has played left field nine times. He has been the designated hitter in the other seven games. It would seem likely, then, to see Adair and Mike Bianucci split those two roles.
- Also getting the bump up to Frisco is Tyler Tufts. The right-hander was 1-0 with a 1.35 ERA in six outings for the Pelicans this year. This will be Tufts’ second stint with the ‘Riders. Last year, he had a 2.50 ERA in 14 outings in North Texas. He has to be good because he’s from Ohio.
- I’ve been meaning to put this link up for a few days, but I have neglected to do so. Here’s a feature on Frisco starter Martin Perez from the Texas League home page. Pretty good stuff here.
- How about Nick Derba squeezing the S-Cards past Northwest Arkansas yesterday for a walk-off victory. Not bad for a catcher. Springfield starter Nick Additon also took a perfect game into the seventh.
The ‘Riders aim to snap a five-game losing streak tonight in San Antonio. Carlos Pimentel looks for his first win of the season. Pre-game along the RBN begins at 6:35. Enjoy!