June 30th, 2011
For the first time since June 8, outfielder Leonys Martin is in the RoughRiders starting lineup. Martin is leading off and playing in center field.
Martin has missed 19 games with a herniated disc in his back. He did play in four games with the Rangers’ Arizona League team in Surprise. In those four contests, he hit .267 (4-for-15) with two runs and one RBI.
Before getting injured, Martin was hitting .357 with the RoughRiders in 22 games. He had three home runs and 18 RBIs. Martin’s OPS sat at a ridiculous 1.028.
Here are a few other notes before the ‘Riders and Cardinals take the field tonight.
- The RoughRiders have shuffled around the rotation a little bit to begin the post-All-Star break slate. Ben Snyder will start tonight, and Carlos Pimentel and Joe Wieland will round out the rotation in this three-game series against Springfield.
- Behind that trio, Martin Perez will pitch Sunday against Arkansas, and Robbie Erlin will go Monday. For Perez, it will be his first start with the ‘Riders since June 22 (11 days). He did pitch in the All-Star Game last night.
- Springfield has the services of St. Louis’ top prospect–right-hander Shelby Miller. Miller is 3-1 with a 1.69 earned run average in five Double-A starts. He is scheduled to pitch tomorrow night against the ‘Riders.
- The Texas League has been blessed with top prospects in 2011. Currently, five of the eight teams have their respective organization’s top prospect. Along with Miller, Grant Green (Midland, Athletics), Casey Kelly (San Antonio, Padres), Martin Perez (Frisco, Rangers), and Mike Trout (Arkansas, Angels) are in the TL.
- The ‘Riders and Cardinals have split their first six games this season. Frisco took two of three from Springfield at Dr Pepper Ballpark in the first series of the season April 7-9.
We’re back on the air with you beginning at 6:35 p.m. Listen live on the RoughRiders Baseball Network. Enjoy!
Frisco starter Martin Perez earned the victory in the South Division’s 3-2 victory over the North All-Stars Wednesday night in the 75th Texas League All-Star Game.
Perez tossed a 1-2-3 second inning. He retired the first two men he faced on ground outs to second. The Rangers’ top prospect finished the frame with a six-pitch strikeout of Anthony Seratelli.
Both Adalberto Flores and Justin Miller earned holds. Flores allowed a solo shot to Matt Adams in an otherwise solid sixth inning, and Miller set down a pair of North All-Stars in the top of the ninth.
Offensively, Mike Bianucci went 1-for-4 with a fourth-inning single. Leonys Martin finished 0-for-3 as the South’s leadoff hitter. Tommy Mendonca walked and struck out.
Jose Felix, Renny Osuna and Jose Ruiz also appeared in the game.
The South scored once in the second and two more times in the third. The North tallied a run in both the sixth and seventh.
It’s a quick turnaround for the nine Frisco All-Stars, as the RoughRiders open a three-game series with the Springfield Cardinals Thursday night at Dr Pepper Ballpark. First pitch is set for 7:05.