Yesterday, the ‘Riders Insider Blog took a rare day off. We’re back at it today with a few odds and ends, spanning everywhere from Martin Perez to whiffle ball. Here are a few wide-ranging Frisco Facts for this Thursday, the beginning of a six-game road trip to Springfield and Arkansas.
- We’ve been asked a few times, so I figured I would touch on it first here. Frisco starter Martin Perez is not scheduled to pitch again for the RoughRiders before the XM Futures Game this Sunday. His turn in the rotation would be Saturday, but Perez will skip that start in order to perform for the World Team in the event at Chase Field, the home of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- As for who that starter will be, we don’t know yet. It is the very familiar talent, “TBA.” However, two good guesses would be former members of the rotation–Richard Bleier and Jake Brigham. Both have excelled at certain points as starters here in 2011.
- Tough news out of Arlington over the last day or so. Brandon Webb is likely done for the season, that according to multiple outlets. Webb made four starts for the ‘Riders and went 0-2 with a 9.75 earned run average in 12 innings.
- I don’t know about all of you, but I really feel for the former Cy Young Award winner. He clearly didn’t have the stuff he did when he was consistently posting 200-inning seasons with the Diamondbacks. However, he worked very hard to return to the big leagues, and he couldn’t have been a nicer person during his time with Frisco. Whether it is with the Rangers or someone else, I sincerely hope we see Webb pitch again somewhere.
- Be sure to check out the Reebok 2011 Heroes Celebrity Baseball Game this Saturday at Dr Pepper Ballpark. The Larry O’Brien trophy will be there, as will many celebrities. David Archuleta, Aaron’s favorite singer, will be on hand to sing “God Bless America” during the seventh-inning stretch. Here are the details for the event, which begins at 3 p.m. and will run until well after the sun goes down.
- I had a chance to go to the Rangers-Orioles game last night. It was my first full game in Arlington, and I really enjoyed the park. Everyone was very friendly, except for one fan screaming “Good Job Pie” at poor O’s left fielder Felix Pie (although it was all in good fun–I enjoyed it at least). I loved the area in center field where kids can play some whiffle ball and hit home runs off a tee. It took me back to my little league “glory” days, and I wanted to join in the fun (I didn’t, by the way).
- The second version of the “RoughRiders Roundtable” podcast will be out in the next 24 hours or so. We had great results and feedback from the first one, so check it out. You can access that podcast here when it is available. Joining me will be Aaron and Jason Cole of LoneStarDugout.com. The topics include Topps Texas League Player of the Month Tommy Mendonca, Mike Bianucci, Renny Osuna, all-you-can-eat buffets and so much more.
The ‘Riders and Cardinals open up a three-game series tonight at Hammons Field. Join us on the pre-game coverage along the RBN at 6:37. Enjoy!