June 6th, 2013
In honor of today’s draft, we decided to take a look back at the drafting of today’s Frisco RoughRiders, where they went in the draft and next to whom. Eleven RoughRiders were international non-drafted free agents, and therefore, not subjected to the MLB June Amateur draft. Zach Zaneski, went undrafted in 2008, the lone RoughRider from the US/Canada/Puerto Rico (subject to the draft) not to be drafted by a major league organization.
(Tonight’s draft coverage begins at 5:00 pm CT on MLB Network and at www.MLB.com, by the way)
Here goes the rest of the team, in chronological order:
2nd Round, 64nd overall: OF Joe Benson (Joliet Catholic Academy) selected by the Minnesota Twins
17th Round, 506th overall: RHP Kevin Pucetas (Limestone College) selected by the San Francisco Giants
47th Round, 1392 overall: RHP Justin Miller (Bakersfield College) selected by Colorado Rockies (DID NOT SIGN)
Supplemental 1st Round, 44th overall: RHP Neil Ramirez (Kempsville HS) selected by the Texas Rangers
6th Round, 179th overall: 2B Alex Buchholz (University of Delaware) selected by the Cincinnati Reds
6th Round, 183rd overall: LHP Richard Bleier (Florida Gulf Coast University) selected by the Texas Rangers
16th Round, 483 overall: RHP Justin Miller (California State University Fresno) selected by the Texas Rangers
32nd Round, 963rd overall: RHP Tyler Tufts (Indiana University-Bloomington) selected by the Texas Rangers
4th Round, 116th overall: RHP Randy Henry (South Mountain Community College) selected by the Baltimore Orioles
5th Round, 154th overall: RHP Nick McBride (Ragsdale HS) selected by the Texas Rangers
6th Round, 196th overall: C Brett Nicholas (University of Missouri Columbia) selected by the Texas Rangers
7th Round, 226th overall: LHP Jimmy Reyes (Elon University) selected by the Texas Rangers
10th Round, 316th overall: SS Jared Hoying (University of Toledo) selected by the Texas Rangers
15th Round, 446th overall: RHP Ryan Rodebaugh (Kennesaw State University) selected by the Texas Rangers
16th Round, 496th overall: CF Ryan Strausborger (Indiana State University) selected by the Texas Rangers
22nd Round, 676th overall: RHP Ben Rowen (Virginia Polytechnic Institue and State University) selected by the Texas Rangers
30th Round, 924th overall: RHP Phil Klein (Youngstown State University) selected by the Texas Rangers
A few notes:
- Neil Ramirez is the highest RoughRiders player drafted
- The lowest drafted RoughRiders roster man was Justin Miller his first time, but he did not sign in 2006. The lowest drafted player to sign is Tyler Tufts.
- The Frisco roster (as of 6/6/13) consists of:
- (1) one high school hitter (Benson)
- (2) two high school pitchers (McBride, Ramirez)
- (9) nine college pitchers (Bleier, Henry, Klein, Miller, Pucetas, Reyes, Rodebaugh, Rowen, Tufts) — including two junior college pitchers (Henry, Pucetas)
- (5) five college hitters (Buchholz, Hoying, Nicholas, Strausborger, Zaneski)
- (4) four international pitchers (Font, Mavare, Mendez, Pimentel)
- (7) seven international hitters (Alberto, Chiang, Herrera, Martinez, Rodriguez, Selen, Telis)
- The players were drafted out of the following years:
- 2006: 3 (if you include Justin Miller who didn’t sign)
- 2007: 1
- 2008: 4
- 2009: 2
- 2010: 6
- 2011: 1
- Of the 16 drafted players, 12 were selected by and signed with Texas.
- Henry (Orioles) came over in the Teagarden trade on December 1, 2011.
- Buchholz (Reds) was taken in the minor league phase of the Rule 5 draft on December 8, 2011.
- Pucetas (Giants) played with three major league organizations before signing with Texas in the offseason.
- Benson (Minnesota) was taken off of waivers by Texas on May 25, 2013.
- Phil Klein, the lone 2011 draftee on the team, is one of just three players from his round that year to have played at Double-A or higher. Will Clinard also went in the 30th round in 2011 and was just promoted and made his Double-A debut for the Erie SeaWolves on Tuesday. Justin Miller, yes another one, has not only played at Double-A but also at Triple-A for the Padres. In fact, he played AGAINST Frisco twice this season as a member of the San Antonio Missions (0-for-3, R, BB in 2 G). He is back at Advanced-A, playing for Lake Elsinore right now.
Enjoy the draft and go ‘Riders!
The Frisco RoughRiders play at 7:05 tonight in San Antonio against the Missions. You can find other interesting tidbits, facts, news and notes in our daily game notes by clicking here.
And of course I would be remiss if I did not congratulate Chris McGuiness on getting his first call to the Show! Congrats to the author of one of the best season’s in recent ‘Riders history. Best of luck!
It’s also big news for us around here, as he is the 100th RoughRiders player to go onto MLB after his time in Frisco. We will have more on Chris here at the Insider Blog, and a look back at his time here, in the coming days.
Baseball term of the day: draftitis – an affliction that hurts a player’s draft status in the period leading up to the draft whereby the player withers under scouts’ scruitiny and fails to display his skills
(term from The Dickson Baseball Dictionary)
- Posted on June 6, 2013 at 4:33 pm
- No Comments
- Tags: Alex Buchholz, Ben Rowen, Brett Nicholas, Frisco RoughRiders, Jared Hoying, Jimmy Reyes, Joe Benson, Justin Miller, MLB Draft, Nathan Barnett, Neil Ramirez, Nick McBride, Phil Klein, Randy Henry, Richard Bleier, Ryan Rodebaugh, Ryan Strausborger, Teodoro Martinez, Tyler Tufts, Zach Zaneski