Results tagged ‘ Chris Dwyer ’
A week ago, few people knew about places like Joplin, Mo., Denning, Ark., and Edmond, Okla. However, more severe storms have rolled through the nation’s heartland, and these three towns experienced powerful tornadoes.
Keep those who have been affected by these storms in your thoughts. Unfortunately, the threat remains for the next few days before this system blows through.
Let’s get you ready for this home stand with today’s installment of the Facts.
- Since the beginning of the season, Frisco manager Steve Buechele has said that his club will not win many “easy” games. That thought was well-represented Monday afternoon in San Antonio. Before Saturday night, the ‘Riders had only lost one game when they had held a four-run lead. In the last three contests, San Antonio twice erased four-run deficits and eventually won one of those two games.
- With the way the last few weeks have transpired for the RoughRiders, I decided to go back through every win and see how the ‘Riders have notched these victories. Frisco’s 23 wins have come by a total of 66 runs, or 2.9 runs per game.
- Of those 23 wins, though, 18 have come by three runs or less. Thus, there are obviously some outliers that skew this average. Those five other wins have come by 4, 7, 11, 7, and 9 runs. So, if you throw out those five victories, the ‘Riders have won 18 by a total of 28 runs. That computes out to 1.6 runs per game, which is pretty astounding when you think about it.
- The efforts of Davis Stoneburner have continued to shine. Stoneburner’s solo shot Monday gave Frisco one of its most improbable wins, and it capped off a four-hit, three-run game. He went 6-for-12 in the four-game set at San Antonio, and he has hit .432 during his ten-game hitting streak. This run has raised his average up to a season-high .263.
- The RoughRiders made a roster move today, placing Elio Sarmiento on the seven-day disabled list with a hamstring strain. Robbie Diaz is back with the club after spending more than a month with Triple-A Round Rock. Diaz played in 13 games and hit .346 (18-for-55) with a homer and three RBIs.
- The Northwest Arkansas Naturals are in town tonight through Friday. Last year, the Naturals won their first Texas League title by defeating Midland in the championship series. Frisco went 7-5 against Northwest a year ago.
- The Naturals have a loaded roster once again this year. Northwest Arkansas is Kansas City’s Double-A affiliate, and the Royals have the best farm system in baseball. Four of the Royals’ top eight prospects (according to Baseball America) are here in the Texas League. Unfortunately, only two–last year’s first-round pick Christian Colon and left-handed starter Chris Dwyer–are active. Outfielder Wil Myers and southpaw John Lamb are currently on the disabled list.
- By the way, I mentioned Denning, Ark., which is in the northwestern part of the state. Fortunately, Springdale, Ark., where the Naturals originate from, is about an hour and a half away from Denning.
- Finally, if you missed it Monday night, there was a 23-inning game in the Florida State League. Jupiter defeated Clearwater 2-1 in one of the wackiest games you’ll ever read about. It lasted 5:37, and only 330 attended the game. I’m sure everyone stayed the whole game, though.
Catch all of the coverage of tonight’s game at 6:35 on the RoughRiders Baseball Network. Enjoy!