Results tagged ‘ Dirk Nowitzki ’
The All-Star Break will be gone before we know it. That’s how these short breaks work, especially when they are only two days long.
The last time there were two straight days without a RoughRiders game that counted? April 5 and 6, right before the 2011 regular season started. A few Texas League clubs (I’m looking at you, Northwest Arkansas and Arkansas) had some games washed out because of rain. Not the RoughRiders.
Let’s take you back to the last time this club enjoyed an off day similar to this one. What was this world like back on April 6? Let’s tell you about it in an All-Star edition of the Facts.
- Dr Pepper Ballpark had been without a meaningful baseball game for 209 days.
- Texas League fans’ lasting memory of San Antonio was that the club’s offense was bad.
- Tommy Mendonca and Martin Perez were hoping for bounce-back seasons. Wish granted.
- The most ridiculous stat of them all: defending MVP Josh Hamilton had not posted a Double-A home run. He hit his first this year.
- Martin Perez had not had a perfect game in his career.
- Leonys Martin was very much a free agent.
- The Rangers won their sixth straight game to start their A.L. pennant defense.
- Baltimore, Kansas City and Pittsburgh were a combined 13-6.
- Boston and Tampa Bay were a combined 0-12.
- South Carolina’s baseball program had only won six straight College World Series games.
- California’s baseball program was not scheduled to survive past 2011.
- The Dallas Mavericks were an afterthought.
- The greatest poll ever had not been created: Can you name the player who has won an NBA Title between LeBron and Dirk?)
- Kemba Walker was the talk of the basketball world.
- The NFL was in a lockout. Oh wait…
- VCU and Butler’s application numbers were going up. Big time.
- Osama bin Laden was alive.
- Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and Joplin, Missouri, looked very different.
- I had never heard of a “Royal Wedding.”
- Oprah was still on the air.
There are many more changes than those 20, but this is a good start. Enjoy another day away from the RoughRiders. We’ll be back with you for more coverage in advance of the ‘Riders and the Springfield Cardinals Thursday.