Results tagged ‘ MLB Draft ’
Teams hope they find the best players in the MLB Draft, but we won’t know who were the “right” choices for years.
But we can look at some awesome names. Here is my top 10, in order of selection:
- Jeremy Gabryszwski (Round 2, Pick 78, Toronto)
– Kevin Quackenbush (Round 8, Pick 263, San Diego)
– Jo-El Bennett Lowe (Round 11, Pick 332, Pittsburgh)
– Ben Klafczynski (Round 20, Pick 609, Chicago Cubs)
– Chance Sossamon (Round 21, Pick 654, Texas)
– Michael Miedzianowski (Round 22, Pick 665, Baltimore)
– Jesse Wierzbicki (Round 24, Pick 730, Houston)
– Steven Snodgrass (Round 27, Pick 837, San Francisco)
– Yhoxian Medina (Round 38, Pick 1148, Cleveland)
– Chadwick Kaalekahi (Round 46, Pick 1400, St. Louis)
I don’t know if these guys will be good baseball players, but they will give broadcasters and uniform designers nightmares.
Anyways, on to today’s Facts in advance of a HUGE four-game series.
- With 14 games left in the first half of the season, the RoughRiders trail their opponent over the next four days by six games in the Texas League South. In baseball, anything can happen; however, considering that a split would mean that San Antonio’s magic number would fall to five, the ‘Riders really need to win the series, if not sweep it.
- The Missions have the best batting average (.290) by a long shot in the league, but San Antonio has struggled against Frisco. The Missions have hit only .243 and averaged 4.75 runs per game against the ‘Riders.
- Not only that, but the RoughRiders have minimized the damage from some of San Antonio’s big hitters. James Darnell (.227, 2 HRs, 7 RBIs), Cody Decker (.212, 2, 7) and Jaff Decker (.189, 1, 5) have been limited to say the least. The big threat has been Kyle Blanks (.286, 1, 13), who had that walk-off grand slam against the ‘Riders in San Antonio late last month.
- San Antonio certainly has dominated the TL this year, but the ‘Riders have held their own. The Missions have outscored Frisco by less than one run per game, and the RoughRiders own the most wins (5) and the second best winning percentage (.417) against San Antonio.
- But, as talked about yesterday, the RoughRiders are playing some of their best ball of the season. Winning six in a row and 24 of 34 is pretty impressive, but it still will take a very strong finish to get another first half title.
- Not to jinx anything, but the RoughRiders have not had a roster move since Thursday. It is the second longest such streak this season, with the first coming right at the beginning of the year. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it seems to be a fitting cliché. So, I’ll use it.
- Thanks to our great fans for helping us reach 4,000 Facebook “likes.” You can join the fun here.
- Finally, DIRK FEVER.
The RoughRiders and Missions kick off this huge series tonight at 7:05. Join us along the RoughRiders Baseball Network at 6:35. Enjoy!